The Laender authorities responsible for Land surveying and the real estate cadastre work together in the Working Committee of the Surveying Authorities of the Laender of the Federal Republic of Germany (AdV) in order to handle thematic matters of fundamental and cross-regional importance with the aim of a standardised procedure. The plenary of the AdV takes the resolutions required for this.
The AdV's duties include:
- Developing recommendations and binding regulations for a standard procedure when creating, maintaining and developing the geographical data basis, the topographical mapping, the Authorative Topographic-Cartographic Information System, the topographic national map system and the real estate cadastre – in short the geographical reference data – as defined by the AdV in its plenary meeting on 28 and 29 September 2005 in Magdeburg: 'Geographical reference data are data of the official surveying that prove and describe independent from specific applications the landscape, the real estates and the uniform geodetic reference frame. It is the basis for the thematic applications with territorial relations';
- The joint implementation of projects across Laender;
- The cooperation in the development and application of technical processes, in particular in the area of establishing the geodetic reference frame, the topographic-cartographic information systems and the automated real estate cadastre;
- Submitting positions for legal drafts;
- Consultancy for thematic questions in organisation, HR, training and testing as well as cost and regulation for use affairs;
- Cooperation with thematically related organisations as well as geodetic research and teaching institutions;
- Representing the official German surveying in the European Union and in European and international institutions as well as cooperation with other countries, also in the field of development assistance.
The following working groups have been established for the detailed handling of special thematic questions and to support the plenary:
- Spatial reference (AK RB)
- Geotopography (AK GT)
- Real estate cadastre (AK LK)
- Information and communication technology (AK IK)
- Public Relations and Marketing (AK PRM)